I’ve been experimenting a bunch for this theme, and I have had SO MUCH FUN. I’ve spent multiple days just playing around with my acrylic paints and water testing what happens, having to clean up paint in panic like a million times and desperately longing for a gigantic studio. Surprisingly the resulting creation (as seen above) isn’t at all what I’ve been working on for most of the time!. Let’s take a look at the process!
It all started with me thinking I was gonna make paint blobs to use in pictures! They didn’t turn out at all like I wanted to though.
Tried it on black too but couldn’t get the shapes of the blobs as dramatic as I wanted them. My palette looked way prettier. (I just realised I use aluminium foil on plastic lids for palettes like my old art teacher but that’s really wasteful!??!?! Shame on me. Need to change that!)
I tried making brush strokes but it was just a MESS. Sigh. So I started playing around with more water and really liked the pattern it created. Especially in the sun because it sparkled! I used metallic gold paint so it should but it was still pretty! Looks like pearl-shell.All of a sudden (okay after playing around a bit) I had this!
And this! But I was exceptionally stupid because it didn’t dry quite as it had looked wet so I painted over it to try again… Needless to say I regret this decision, because i never managed to make something that looked like this. But nevermind, it resulted in me experimenting for a few more days so I guess it was worth it.
I then took a short break from the acrylic paints and experimented with dripping my liquid ink (which is like the blackest of black – I love it!) onto wet paper. Kinda used too much on that first one as I got carried away, but I was back to creating stuff I could use in my pictures so the last one might be okay. Overall it didn’t turn out like I wanted it to. Sensing a trend here. I then decided to go get this framed cross stitch picture that I found a while back. Don’t really like the embroidery (soz) but I thought some kind of paint experiment would look cool in this frame! So I removed the TWO HUNDRED nails that kept the picture in place on the back (STUPID FRAME) and found a piece of like cardboard/wood/i don’t know. It was shiny and stuff though so the paint didn’t really cling to it and overall it DIDN’T REALLY TURN OUT LIKE I WANTED IT TO.
But I made this. The paint strokes got really visible after it had dried though and it looked pretty awful. (I’m guessing this was due to the shininess and just a non-suitable surface for acrylic paints.) So I painted over this too. Though I liked the shifts from gold to copper.
I then took a slight break to experiment with pouring paint into a container of water (a slightly too small container of water) but I think I would’ve needed more paint/more watered down paint so I’m gonna try that again some day! And so one sunny day I brought everything outside with me and stood in the sun playing around with the paints for a few hours. It always looked best right at the beginning but during the time it took for the water to dry the colours had blended together and it was just a greyish green metallic mess. I tried to recreate the little islands of golden paint from the first one I made, but it was really hard. This was the closest I got.
It looked amazing as I was tilting the canvas though! Uploaded this lil video to Instagram.Yet another day I tried using way less water and more paint to pour onto tiny canvases. I then tilted them and got paint everywhere, but I really like the result!
Turned into these four! My favourite is the second one! Or the last one. Kind of ran out of gold paint so I needed more water which meant a different type of pattern. These dried different though and a lot of the golden paint kind ran down on the surface below them. And then the next day I went back to trying to make paint blobs to use in pictures all of a sudden!
Tried it on this picture of me, but I’m not sold. I don’t know. I will try again with some other picture and maybe golden paint because GOLD IS THE MEANING OF MY LIFE.
And then I sprayed some water on the paint (on thick paper, not canvas this time) like I had with the other experiments and it created these amazing patterns!
I instantly fell in love. I love these pictures so much I’m debating making them into my actual creation. But it was kinda dark when I did this and they looked better when wet because they had the patterns inside the paint fields as well. So I might redo it with better lighting! Anyway, I used them on a picture right away. Like right away! I promise.
And there we have it! I tried just adding them on top as blue blobs but it looked stupid, so I used the shapes of the paint pictures as layer masks for the pictures which gave these white paint stains. And then I added some green and blue into the pictures just to make it fit the theme a bit more. They were a bit grey before hehe.
And that was me experimenting with paints for the theme for Monthly Makers this month!
Monthly Makers is a challenge for anyone who wants to be more creative or create more. During 2016 we’ll have twelve monthly challenges for you to be inspired by. For April the theme is Colour/Paint and Alicia is the hostess. Comment on this post with a link to your creation to participate! You have until the 28th!
The people behind Monthly Makers are Alicia, Anna María, Annica, Beata, Beatrice, Elsa, Mikaela, Ruth, Sandra, Stina and Wilda and me. Get inspired, create and challenge yourself with us all year! Read more here.